Overview: What is a National Hero?
A hero is a person who is admired and acknowledged for their courage, outstanding achievements, and noble qualities. A National Hero is someone who beyond that has made significant positive contributions to the growth and development of society, and represents all of us. To know our heroes is to know ourselves: our values, our collective history, who we are, and what makes us as Bermudians great. Acknowledging our heroes is an acknowledgement of who we are – of our history, heritage, and culture.
National Heroes Day is celebrated each year on the third Monday in June. The purpose is to honour those persons who have been officially designated as National Heroes in Bermuda. The National Hero designation is a lifetime honour that is bestowed, and once a person is named as a National Hero he or she will be a National Hero forever.
Desired Outcome of celebrating Bermuda’s National Heroes:
• A populace that is cognizant and proud of contributions made by individuals or groups;
• A populace whose collective level of consciousness is raised about Bermuda’s history, heritage and culture
• Increased awareness of collective history enhances sense of national unity and social cohesion amongst Bermudians
Criteria for the selection of Bermuda’s National Heroes:
The individual or group to be designated as a National Hero should meet most of the following criteria:
• has made a significant and lasting contribution to Bermuda
• has enriched the lives of others
• has a legacy that will stand the test of time and have continued relevance in the future
• has contributed to the quality of life and destiny of Bermuda
• be considered as outstanding in their area of activity
• has ready name recognition among the general population
• is recognized by his/her profession or organization
• is reflective of Bermuda’s cultural heritage and diversity
Attributes of Individuals/Groups Selected:
It is important that the individual or group designated as a national hero is of outstanding character and may possess some or all of the following characteristics:
• demonstrates consistency and passion
• agent of change for betterment
• demonstrates ethical behaviour
• demonstrates love of Bermuda and her people
• demonstrates leadership qualities
Additional Guidelines on the Nomination Process
• Nominations must be made on official National Heroes Nomination Forms
• Permission must be granted by the Nominee for their name to be put forward for nomination
• In the case of posthumous nomination, nomination permission must be granted by the family of the nominee
• For any given year only completed and approved nominations received prior to the posted deadlines will be taken into consideration.
ATTN: National Heroes Nomination: The Department of Community and Cultural Affairs
#81 Court Street, Hamilton HM12
Telephone/Fax: 292 1681 / 292 2474